When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, October 22, 2009

Keeping Awake

I am an EMT and a driver for the Heber/Overgaard Fire Department.  Tonight we had a call and I was the driver.  I had to take the Patient 45 minutes away to the nearest hospital.  It was the middle of the night, I haven't had enough sleep in days because I have been sick myself with a cough that keeps waking me up, and there were many elk on the road.  I did the white knuckle driving that I really hate to do, but sometimes it is a must. 
Because I have been sick, I found the 29 degree weather just a little on the chilly side and I turned on the heat.  Naturally, when you combine tiredness with heat, you get sleepiness.  So I drove the route alternating between being warm and sleepy, and freezing cold and coughing (I put the windows down periodically so that I don't fall asleep at the wheel). 
While I was driving I reflected how much this is like my life and my relationship with my Heavenly Father.  If you remember from your scriptures, Jesus went to pray in the garden of gethsemane.  Three of his beloved apostles were also there.  He asked them to watch with Him awhile and went up onto the mount and prayed and bled from every pore and would that He might not have to drink the bitter cup.  He came down and found them sleeping.  He asked them, could yet not watch with me awhile?  And went back and prayed again.  Again when He came down they were sleeping.  He did this three times and all three times they slept. 

Tonight I reflected how much I am like that in my own spiritual matters.  I drive around through my life and everything is going smoothly and I am not as diligent as I should be in my scripture reading, prayers, study and testimony.  Then, the cold air or the elk in life (the trials) come and all of a sudden I am wide awake spiritually and I am working really hard to stay that way and have the spirit in my life and come to a better knowledge and understanding of the Savior.
I wish that I too didn't make the same choice His loved apostles did and close my eyes much too often in spiritual sleep.  I think I need to remember when the trials come and the cold winds of tribulation blow, that is my chance to awake and walk with Him.  I am going to work at being a little more awake during the good times so that I can have the abundance in my life of having His spirit with me always.  I looked out tonight and the stars in the sky and was so thankful to be able to see and bear witness of His infinate glory and goodness.  He truly is my Savior, my redeemer and my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment