When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Sunday, November 29, 2009

Make Love Your Walk and Talk

This was the fifth Sunday in the Heber first ward.  On the fifth Sundays, we do things just a little bit different.  I teach in the primary normally, but on the fifth Sunday, we teach the lesson first and then the young women and young men do singing time with all the kids so that the adults can meet together to get instruction from the Bishopric.  It is a great opportunity to learn and grow.  This Sunday was the first with our new bishopric.  All three of them gave different instructions about love and gratitude.  One of the talks was on "How do we become true disciples of Christ".  This was the conference talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  He stated,
"The Savior Himself provided the answer with this profound declaration: “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”  This is the essence of what it means to be a true disciple: those who receive Christ Jesus walk with Him.
Once again the Savior revealed the way. When asked to name the greatest commandment, He did not hesitate. “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind,” He said. “This is the first and great commandment.”  Coupled with the second great commandment—to love our neighbor as ourselves—we have a compass that provides direction not only for our lives but also for the Lord’s Church on both sides of the veil.
Because love is the great commandment, it ought to be at the center of all and everything we do in our own family, in our Church callings, and in our livelihood. Love is the healing balm that repairs rifts in personal and family relationships. It is the bond that unites families, communities, and nations. Love is the power that initiates friendship, tolerance, civility, and respect. It is the source that overcomes divisiveness and hate. Love is the fire that warms our lives with unparalleled joy and divine hope.
Love should be our walk and our talk.

We are created in the image of our heavenly parents; we are God’s spirit children. Therefore, we have a vast capacity for love—it is part of our spiritual heritage. What and how we love not only defines us as individuals; it also defines us as a church. Love is the defining characteristic of a disciple of Christ.
Let us be known as a people who love God with all our heart, soul, and mind and who love our neighbor as ourselves. When we understand and practice these two great commandments in our families, in our wards and branches, in our nations, and in our daily lives, we will begin to understand what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus the Christ."
It has really made me think today.  How often is love my walk and talk?  One of the things that was said today is that we need to learn to learn to truly love our neighbors.  I am thinking that I do not always do that as well as I should.  Sometimes people can be rude or angry or just plain disagreeable.  However, I suppose that sometimes I can be that way as well.  I sincerely want to learn to love those around me, no matter how they behave.
One of the ways we talked about being able to do this is through expressing our gratitude.  Gratitude when it is not expressed is only a thought.  But when you take the time to share it out loud, you can change a moment or even change a life. 
We need to Think To Thank (TTT).  My goal is to try and remember to share my thanks with those around me.  Especially, those I work with and also those I serve.  Maybe if I remember to express thanks and gratitude than I can change my own view of things.  Perhaps, it is not other people who are the difficult ones.  Perhaps it is only my view of them that makes them unreasonable.  I need to make sure that love is my walk and my talk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment