When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, November 6, 2009

Dear Heavenly Father........

I was listening to a great talk this morning as I was getting ready for work.  In the talk, the woman was reminiscing about when she was a young girl and would pray to Heavenly Father every morning and night that He would, somehow, make her shorter.  I laughed so hard, because it brought back one of the funniest memories of my own childhood. 
When I was a young girl, we were not allowed to participate in sports.  We had to wear dresses to school, and we had to learn to be "young ladies".  I really did not like being a girl.  I had many difficulties because of it.  I was a tomboy and did not fit in anywhere. 
I used to pray every morning and every night that Heavenly Father would turn me into a boy.  I just knew if I were a boy, that everything would somehow be better.  The kids would like me.  I would be more popular.  I would get to play sports.  And even, somehow, I would have friends. 
I know that I prayed everyday for well over a year, and finally stopped when I decided that Heavenly Father just wasn't listening to me.  The kids went on making fun of me, I always struggled to make friends until long after I grew up, and I never was popular. 
Does that mean Heavenly Father didn't listen, or didn't love me, or didn't have time for one totally inadequate girl child?  I have to believe that the answer to that is a resounding NO!  Heavenly Father completely knew and knows who I am.  He also knew who I could become.  His vision was much more long range than that little nine year old girl could even begin to imagine.  He had blessings in store for her that were more than she could ever have comprehended.  He knew of her struggles and difficulties and He knew of her despair.

Now, looking back, I can hear a voice in my mind saying, "Child, just you wait, you can't see it now, but I have something so much better than that in store for you". 
I laugh when I remember those fervent prayers.  Because, now, at this stage of my life, I am so very glad the answer was no.  It was never "I don't care", "I'm too busy don't bother me", or "you are not important".   The answer was always a very lovingly inspired "No, daughter". 
Sometimes, it is so easy to get caught up in our own idea of what is important to us.  I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who doesn't give me everything I want.  He helps me to be who and what He wants me to be.  In your own life, be careful that you don't let the things that you want right now, become more important than the things that matter most of all. 
Your Heavenly Father knows what eternity looks like.  Trust in Him to help you get safely there.

No comments:

Post a Comment