When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, January 11, 2010

Who are your Heroes?

Who are real heroes?  Are they the great football players, rock stars, or television personalities?  Are they  people who lived a long time ago?  Are they myths and legends? Or are they only found in comic books and movies?  They are probably a little of all of these. 
The dictionary defines heroes as:
  • a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
  • the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem
  • champion: someone who fights for a cause

Mormon Heroes are people whose actions illustrate their love for Jesus Christ. They sacrifice their own pleasures to fulfill their Godly responsibilities. In spite of problems in their lives, Mormon Heroes labor valiantly as they seek to follow the Savior's example and God's plan for them.  You too can be a Mormon Hero.
Being good is not always easy. We are often faced with difficult choices that can sway us toward dark or light, happiness or misery, weakness or strength. Sometimes making the right choices in life are one of the hardest things we will ever do.  And changing direction after making bad choices, can take even more courage and strength.  The question, "where do you find your heroes?" is just as important as "who are your heroes today?"  So, where are you looking for your heroes?
Are you looking in the media, the headlines, or your neighborhood?  Or are you looking at your leaders, your scriptures, your prophets?  I believe that if we teach our children who the true heroes are in our lives, we can help them make better choices for their own heroes.  So, who are your own righteous heroes?
As we teach our children about our heroes and the impact that they have had in our lives, and as we live the teachings of the gospel and hold to the iron rod, we will be teaching them how to grow up to be our very own Latter Day Saint Heroes!  I really mean that!  As I have watched my older children grow and start families of their own, I am so amazed at the things they are doing and the way they are doing them. 

 I have always been a big fan of Nephi.  He taught us so much about the meaning of obedience and following the prophet.  I am so impressed with my children who are my heros who have chosen to follow the prophet.  It means the world to me to know that they are raising my grand-children to have prayer, scripture study and family home evening. They are teaching me every day what it means to be obedient.  What it means to sacrifice.
I am also a big fan of Gideon.  He is the type of man who does everything he can to help his people and trusts to God to fill in the rest. He won't back down from what he knows to be true and good.  I have children who are my heroes because they stand up for each other and won't back down, even when they know their friends won't like what they say.  I have boys who take care of each other even when it is hard to do so.  I am so proud of their commitment to family and for all of the things it means to them. 
I love Alma the younger, who lived the early years of his life in sin.  He actively taught against the Lord and his own father, the prophet, Alma the elder.  He was brought back to the gospel.  He lived his life in service and dedication to the Lord.  He actively tried to teach all those whom he had led astray.  He went to the Laminites and taught them at great danger and risk to himself.  I have children who made some mistakes early on in their lives.  They have walked a long road back to try and change those early decisions.  I have so much admiration and respect for their trials and they are my heros for making the decision to turn their life around.  To choose to change, even when change is painful.  
 I have so many heroes in the scriptures.  These men and women teach me what it means to be a true hero in the eyes of God.  Many of the current heroes in my life are my sweet children who have taught me to be more loving and compassionate, more giving and self-sacrificing, more serving and giving, more faith and courage, more like my Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the greatest hero of them all. 

"Goodness is the only investment that never fails."
H.D.Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment