When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Music Director

My daughter Miracle and I have had a real mother-daughter bonding experience this year.  Miracle joined the Northland Pioneer College Master Choral.  She is the youngest member at 13 years old.  I am probably one of the oldest!  :-)  We absolutely love singing together.  It has been such an amazing experience for both of us, but I think it has been so very eye opening for me especially.
I love to sing.  Anyone who has known me very long, realizes how much music means to me.  I sang in high school choirs, and ward choirs and even community choirs.  I have never been one of the best, nor have I even been in the best group, but I have worked at it and still perform today.  I have never had the opportunity to sing in college, or in a group that I did not help put together myself.  I have sang in weddings, funerals, community events, and in church.  I always enjoy it.  It makes me feel good to help others feel the Spirit that is such a large part of my life.
Music, for me, is an expression of feeling.  It is love put to voice and it touches my heart in wonderful ways.  However, I have never sang in a group like this one that we are with now.
How do I explain what it was like to walk into class the very first night and have the director (Miss Julie) blend all the individual voices into a song?  How do I explain what it felt like to be part of that group?  How do I share what it means to me to be singing in something this amazing?  I know that I am getting older, and I might not be able to do this for too many years.  I know that voices change as we get older and become weak.  But it brings tears to my eyes and pure joy to my heart to be part of it now.

Miss Julie has had a tough year this year.  She has been very ill and not been able to attend several of our practices.  She has been in and out of the Emergency room at the local hospital.  She has had personal struggles that are very overwhelming for her.  We miss her when she is not with us and can't wait for her to come back.  She lights our way!
We go on, because she has shown us what we can be.  We have been given a glimpse of what is possible and which direction we are heading.  There are several students that are music majors in school, and they lead the choir and help us to stay on track.  I think they do a very good job, and our director has every reason to be proud, but there is just something so amazing when Miss Julie steps behind the music stand.  She can bring things out of us that I had no idea we were capable of singing. She takes normal, everyday music and makes us part of something special, something unique, something that I have been missing.
Have you every had a teacher like that?  One who inspires you?  One who made you stretch and reach and become more that you ever thought you could be?

I think, that this is very much how the Savior works in our lives.  We all have talents and abilities.  By ourselves, we can be good.  We can do good things, we can be happy.  But when we allow Him to direct our paths, we can be so much more than merely good!  When He is directing, he places us where we can really shine.  He shows us how to change and perfect what we are.  He makes us whole.   He takes a world of individual voices and makes them harmonize to His song.
He becomes the Master Director.

I Know That My Savior Loves Me
Words and music by Tami Jeppson Creamer and Derena Bell

A long time ago in a beautiful place,
Children were gathered ’round Jesus.
He blessed and taught as they felt of His love.
Each saw the tears on His face.
The love that He felt for His little ones
I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on His knee,
Yet, Jesus is real to me.

Chorus
I know He lives!
I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him.
I know that my Savior loves me.

Now I am here in a beautiful place,
Learning the teachings of Jesus.
Parents and teachers will help guide the way,
Lighting my path ev’ry day.
Wrapped in the arms of my Savior’s love,
I feel His gentle touch.
Living each day, I will follow His way,
Home to my Father above.

Chorus

I know He lives!
I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him.
I know that my Savior loves me.

1 comment: