When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Would you LIVE for him?

There was a speaker at the youth conference in Missouri.  I do not know his name, I was not there.  But I want to share a story with you that my daughter shared with me of her experience.  First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to offend any of you.  If you don't agree with my view, that is fine.  I am merely presenting this as something for each of us to think about.
This speaker spoke about obeying the Prophet of God.  He talked about the time, many years ago, when Gordon B. Hinckley came out and addressed the fads of tattooing and piercing:
“Now comes the craze of tattooing one’s body. I cannot understand why any young man—or young woman, for that matter—would wish to undergo the painful process of disfiguring the skin with various multicolored representations of people, animals, and various symbols. With tattoos, the process is permanent, unless there is another painful and costly undertaking to remove it. … A tattoo is graffiti on the temple of the body.
Likewise the piercing of the body for multiple rings in the ears, in the nose, even in the tongue. Can they possibly think that is beautiful? It is a passing fancy, but its effects can be permanent. Some have gone to such extremes that the ring had to be removed by surgery. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve have declared that we discourage tattoos and also ‘the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes.’ We do not, however, take any position ‘on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings’ ” (Ensign, Nov. 2000, 52).
The speaker continued to speak on the importance of this principle and he talked about those whom he knew personally that had made the decision to follow the council of the Prophet.  My daughter and I, when we were both much younger, had two holes in each of our ears.  We both liked the practice and thought that it looked nice.  I still remember when President Hinckley came out with his counsel on ear piercings.  We looked at each other, and went home and removed the extra earrings.  It was not a hard decision for me to remove the second earring.  I did not understand "why" at that time, but if the Prophet told me to, than I was willing to follow that counsel.
Sitting next to my daughter in this Youth Conference, on the bench in that chapel, was a young girl who was not a member of the church.  Partway through the talk, she left.  When my daughter was telling me this, I wondered if she might have been offended, because she had several piercings in each ear.  She came back to the meeting approximately ten minutes later, with her ears bleeding and all of the earrings except for the bottom hole in each ear removed.  Some of the piercings were recent, so they reopened and bled when she took the earrings out.  This young girl, though not a member of the church, was nevertheless, touched by the spirit to follow the words of the Prophet in these latter days.  It is so amazing to me!  Sometimes it is hard for us to follow the counsel and teachings even though we have a knowledge that he is a prophet of God.  Yet, here was a young woman who was not even a member of the church and she went and took out her earrings.
Today, Satan is trying so hard to challenge and discourage our youth.  He works constantly to try and make them want to "fit in" with the crowd.  Do you remember the story of Lehi's dream?  Do you remember the large and spacious building with the crowd of people who were laughing and mocking those who chose to follow the Lord?  Doesn't it remind you of the things we face today?  Doesn't it remind you of the world?
Now comes the harder question.  What one thing, are you holding onto that you shouldn't?  What one thing could you change in your life that would allow you to truly follow the prophet and be closer to your Savior?
Remember Satan?  He seeks to have us be like him.  Cast out of Father's presence.  His nature is to lead us away.  His nature is to keep us from our home.

The scorpion and the Frog
Once upon a time a scorpion wanted to cross a brook. On the bank he saw a frog and asked if the frog would give him a ride to the other side.
"Oh no," says the frog, "If I carry you on my back you will sting me."
"But why would I sting you when we would both surely perish," replied the scorpion.
The frog eventually conceded that the scorpion had a point, and agreed to the request.
Half way across, the scorpion stang the frog, and they both began to drown.
"But why did you break your word and sting me, knowing it would be certain death for us both?" cried the frog.
"Because it is in my nature." said the scorpion.

Satan, with his nature, would have you drown in the fads and fashions of the world.  He would have you think that the little things don't matter.  He would have you believe that it is OK if you follow some commandments and not others.  If you chose to walk with him, you will surely be lost in the mansion or the mists.  His nature is to lie just like the scorpion in the little story.
I have often heard people say that they would be willing to die for the gospel of Christ.  That they would be willing to die for their Savior.  I don't think, at this time, He needs us to die.  I think He needs us to live and follow Him and be an example and a testimony to those around us who are seeking for Him.  
Your task is to choose who you will follow.  You have been called at this time and in this place to LIVE for your Savior.  You have been asked to become more like Him.  May we each seek to follow His prophets in all they do and say.
Bruce Barton has said:  "Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things - I am tempted to think there are no little things".

1 comment:

  1. I think it was great that you had the second piercing and that you could show the example of following the prophet to your children and that your daughter was willing to do it along with you.

    You asked what one thing I'm holding onto that I shouldn't. I wish I could say there was just one. I try hard to be good, but I'm not even close to perfection yet. Loved your post and the important reminder. I wish more youth (and adults) understood the importance of the "little" things. Love that last quote.

    ReplyDelete