When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Someone is waiting, not too far from here

“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”  Albert Pike

Today, I went to a track-meet for 5th through 8th grades.  Miracle and I were supposed to be at choir practice at 4:00.  I went home from work early, got Miracle out of school, and we drove to Snowflake for Mikayla's track-meet.  She was running in her very first event ever.  She was so excited that her stomach was upset with butterflies and she was really scared.
Her event was supposed to be at 2:55pm and we were there slightly late.  Kayla was so worried that I would not get there on time!  Her event kept getting moved back and so I called the Choir officer and let them know that we would be slightly late.
In case you have never been to a track meet, you should know that when the group is too big for all the runners, they run multiple heats.  So, you never know, as a parent, when you child is supposed to run, you only know that her event is coming up soon.  Miracle stood down by the finish line and I sat in the stands.  Mikayla was on the inside of the field, hopping up and down and  anxiously waiting for her turn.  She was competing in the "Class B" girls 400 meter race.  The "Class C" girls went first.  They had eight girls in the first heat and than 3 additional girls ran another heat.  Then the "Class C" boys ran, also in two heats.   Now it was the "Class B" girls on the field.  Kayla was still on the sidelines.  Then the "Class B" boys ran.
My mommy instinct kicked in and I went to go find out what was going on.  Kayla ran across the track in tears.  She flew into my arms sobbing.  "What happened?" I asked her.  "There were too many girls and they were supposed to make room for me but they didn't", was her reply.  We went and checked with the coach, and sure enough, somehow the officials had gotten mixed up and did not put her in the race like they were supposed to.  No one knows exactly why, but because she was not in the race and they did not divide the heats, she could not run.  They would not allow her to run with the "Class A" group of girls. 
She was heart-broken!  Here she had been at the meet all afternoon and did not even get to compete. 

Sometimes, there are not words that can fix the things that happen to us in this life.  Living can sometimes leave us feeling alone, sad, hurt and unwanted.  It can even cause us to withdraw away from those who love us.  Life if not often easy and it is even, less often, "fair".
My point is simply this, we have all experienced heartaches like this.  We have all missed something we really wanted to go to, or we have been chosen last for some game we wanted to play.  Maybe we didn't make the school varsity team, or the best choir.  We each suffer some disappointments as we struggle through this earthly existence.  Some hurts pass quickly, while others we hold onto for awhile before we can let them go.  We have all had things happen that bruise our feelings.   We have all cried over injuries, real and imagined.  I can't stop my children from experiencing life, nor would I want to.  I can't protect them from all the things that happen day to day.  But I can teach them that they are loved, needed and wanted. 
That is what I tried to do with Mikayla today.  I let her cry.  I told her that I loved her.  I gave her the choice of coming with her sister and I to the college, or staying with her team and cheering them on.  I watched her walk away from me into the arms of her coach and stay to cheer.
I am more proud of her today than I would have been if she HAD run that 400 meter race.  When we can hold our head up in the midst of disappointment and defeat, than we are true winners. 


I want to share with you the words to one of my favorite songs.  They have a personal message for me.  I am reminded that it is up to me to make a difference in the lives of others.  Our Heavenly Father will use me if I will only let Him.
It is not too hard for each of us to find those in our lives who need our help and compassion.
Who need our strength and wisdom.
Who need our friendship and love.
We don't have to fix all the problems.  Indeed, we cannot fix most of them.  But, as sisters in Zion, we can, "comfort the weary and strengthen the weak".   Remember that life is often, not very fair.  There are those all around us who suffer from disappointment and pain as my sweet daughter did today.  It doesn't matter how big or small the trial.  It is still a hurt in their heart. May we each remember that someone is waiting for our caring and compassion "not too far from here".  


Not Too Far From Here - Sang by Hilary Weeks

Somebody's down to their last dime,
Somebody's running out of time,
Not too far from here

Somebody's got nowhere else to go
Somebody needs a little hope
Not too far from here

And I may not know their name
But I'm praying just the same
That You'll use me Lord to wipe away a tear
'Cause somebody's crying
Not too far from here

Somebody's troubled and confused
Somebody's got nothing left to lose
Not too far from here

Somebody's forgotten how to trust
Somebody's dying for love
Not too far from here

It may be a stranger's face
But I'm praying for Your grace
To move in me and take away the fear
'Cause somebody's hurting
Not too far from here

Help me, Lord, not to turn away from pain
Help me not to rest while those around me weep
Give me Your strength and compassion
When somebody finds the road of life too steep

Now, I'm letting down my guard
And I'm opening my heart
Help me speak your love to every needful ear
Someone is waiting
Not too far from here

2 comments:

  1. So sad Mikayla didn't get to race. I can only imagine how upset she was. Hopefully the next race isn't too far away!! :D See you in less than 3 weeks! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor girl. I would have been disappointed to not be able to do something I'd trained to do and was looking forward to (which would never be running for me). I'm glad she handled it with such grace.

    That sounds like a beautiful song. And your thoughts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete