When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Long Road Home

My used to be new and now fixed up bike

The beautiful bike trail that goes all the way through town!
Oh yeah, there are way too many hills!

This morning, thanks to the influence and support of a good friend, I went for a bike ride.  The roads are hilly, the trail is long, and I was out of breath before I ever finished (or even got halfway on) the ride.  However, I kept going.  Probably, a lot slower than I would have liked, still I made it all the way to Bison Ranch and home again.
 Here I have been feeling like a wimp all day!  I thought that I had traveled nearly 5 miles.  I could not believe that a 5 mile bike ride could turn my legs that rubbery!  Tonight when I got home, I took the car out and checked the miles on the trail.  It was 7.5 miles total.  And that does not take into account the up and down on the hills!  I am feeling so excited!  I actually got on my bike and rode 7.5 miles.  My bum is a little (OK, a lot) sore, but I really did it.
This is the half way point!

Here is the important part.  You see, I did not do it alone.  I have started exercising with a friend and she is my sole cheering section on our exercising jaunts.  She knocks on my door at 6:00AM, than sets the pace while we walk on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Today, I finally felt like I was making enough improvement to try the ride.  So, from now on, we will be bike riding on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  I am really serious about this.  I have lost 17 lbs in the past 5 weeks.  I really want to succeed.  For the first time in a very long time, it matters to me.

Living the gospel is a lot like my diet and exercise program.  The road back to our Heavenly Father is a long one!  There are times when we all struggle with living the Gospel.  There are times when we feel like total failures.  When we compare ourselves to others who are all doing better than we are.  That is the time that we need a cheering section.  The advantage of Wards or Churches is that we never need to struggle alone.  If we are having difficulties, we can ask for help and support.  When others are helping us study, or pray, or learn, most of us do just a little bit better.  There are so many programs in the church that are there to help strengthen and guide us.  What is Sunday School for?  What is Relief Society for?  You might be surprised about how many sisters there are with the same struggles as you.
So today, go cheer someone else on in their struggle to be better!  You might just find that the blessings are coming right back to you!   I have found that the journey is easier with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment