When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, June 21, 2010

The no good, horrible, very bad, awful, wish I could have slept through it, day

Oh my, where to start.
I woke up, got dressed, couldn't find my shoes, so I had to wear the ones that cause blisters on my toes.
I went walking three miles with two dogs and a friend.  Of course, it would not have been a walk without being barked at and chased by other dogs.
I missed breakfast.
I went to work, where I never got to work a single piece of mail because I was so busy on the window.
I had a customer who yelled at me because I was not fast enough.
I had a customer who yelled at me because I did not have free packing tape for his parcel.  (We sell it, people).
I stood on my feet for six hours with no break.
I had a customer yell at me because his package was not at my Office.
(I know, I am supposed to be psychic and tell him exactly where I have hidden it).
I missed lunch.
I had to plow through four grievances and write up all the entries into the Labor system so that I could close them out.  (This sounds easy, but is actually tedious and time consuming).
I came home and yelled at the kids because they were playing video games.
My husband did not get the bike fixed for my exercise tomorrow.  (Of course, I forgot to leave him a note reminding him not to forget to fix the bike).
I snarled at my husband.
I missed dinner.
Finally, arriving home, I ate meatloaf (this is on my diet), vegetables (also on the diet) and a banana (cheating).
I am craving anything sweet right now and not even sure if I can manage to say "no" to the chocolate ice cream that is calling my name, no screaming my name loudly through the noise on the television and right over the key board on the computer.  I NEED CHOCOLATE!  With REAL sugar and calories!
DIET is a four letter word!
I have a headache.

I actually can't figure out why the day seems so bad to me.   I don't know why I feel so discouraged.  Does sneaking a banana make you feel bad?  Nothing really serious happened.  My children are well, I was able to go and visit a couple of sick friends who have been in the hospital.  I got my assignments done for the day.  I only had to work until 6:00pm (this is only 1.5 hours longer than I should be working).  I got to go home teaching and was able to really feel the spirit.
Still, here I am gripey and out of sorts and cranky.  

We all have days like this.  The washer brakes, the car needs service, the dog piddles on the floor.   These things happen to all of us from time to time.  Sometimes, I just need to take a deep breath and remember that my Heavenly Father loves me.  He is mindful of me.  He is watching over me.  And than I remember that "this too shall pass away".  And I smile because I know that even diets don't last forever!

In Alma’s day “the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it … had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God” (Alma 31:5).

Boyd K. Packer has said, "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior.
Find happiness in ordinary things, and keep your sense of humor.
Life will not be free from challenges, some of them bitter and hard to bear. We may wish to be spared all the trials of life, but that would be contrary to the great plan of happiness, “for it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things” (2 Ne. 2:11). This testing is the source of our strength". 
(Liahona, May 2004,  Do Not Fear)

You never see bad days in a photo album, but it is those days that get us from one happy snapshot to the next.  Today is not a snapshot day!




Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment