When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Day of School

So, school started last week and my three littlest children put their book bags together, got out their new clothes, and willing walked with their dad down to the bus stop at the end of our dirt road.


They were (and still are) so excited to exit the house, that for the first (and probably the last) time this year they leaped out of bed at 5:30 am, gathered round the couch for scriptures, ate breakfast, got dressed and were wiggling around to get out the door before the appointed time of 7:00am.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to school they go!



My sweet Miracle is in 8th grade this year and over at the High School.  They had to move all the Jr. High kids there this year until the construction is done.  Since Miracle is in 8th grade, she will not be going back to the Jr. High next year.  It is an interesting time for us dealing with High School with everything else.  I am so proud of her though.  She has just accepted what is and moved on.  She had me talk with all her teachers about the medical problem, but she acts as if all is well, and most of the time, she convinces me that it is.


Marvelous Mikayla is in 6th grade this year.  She is at the middle school and loving her new teacher.  She is so excited to learn and do well.  She loves Orchestra and works hard at the cello.  She is very good too!  She  watches out for her little sister at school and helps everyone.  She loves being back with her friends after the summer break.


Adorable Anya is finally out of grade school and into middle school.  She went into 4th grade this year and was so excited to go.  She works very hard to get good grades and all her teachers love her.  4th grade is a lot different than elementary school here.  Since 4th grade is at the middle school, the expectations are higher and it is not as much fun!  (That is what Anya tells me everyday).  My guess is that most of us would love to go back to the days when life was full of fun!


As school has started and my girls are busy with the changes that happen in the fall and winter,  I am reflecting on the changes that happen in each of our lives.  We (our family) have seen so many things happen this year.  We have seen miracles, and trials.  We have seen improvements and setbacks.
No matter how much we would like for things to stay in one place, they continue to change.  I have found (in my life at least) that when change happens, it helps if I can be a little bit cheerful about it.  It helps if I don't dwell on the problem as much as I dwell on the blessings that come from the overcoming of the problem.
Change is all around us, but whether it lifts you up, or tosses you down, largely depends on how you want to deal with it.  I get to decide how I am going to handle the changes in my life.  It doesn't mean that I don't cry once in awhile, or have a bad day.  What it does mean is that I try very hard not to have more than one or two of those days in a row.  Sometimes, the best time to smile is when you don't feel like it.  It doesn't change what is happening, but it changes the way I feel.  And, after all, if I am going to go through it anyway, I might as well get a little bit of joy out of it.
Through each of our lives, we must deal with change.  Some changes are as welcome as the spring warmth after the winter snows.  Some changes are not welcome at all.  Some changes are sudden and the world seems to stop while we learn to accept, some changes are subtle and quiet and happen almost without our awareness.
This is our one and only chance at mortal life.  The older  I get, the more I realize how quick and fleeting are the moments here.  The more my awareness shifts to the things which are most important of all.  May we cherish those who are in our hearts and homes and express our love for them in both word and deed.    May you realize, as I have done, that the most important thing is not the words that we speak, or the mistakes that we might have made.  The most important thing can be found in the actions that we share.  The kind, gentle touches, the squishy hugs, and the sweet, sticky kisses.
The most priceless thing of all to give, is simply your heartfelt love.    
When life hands you changes, are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment