When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, August 13, 2010

Holiness to the Lord


This is one of my new favorite stories.  I hope that I can be this kind of a Steward to my Heavenly Father.  I think it is important to not that Brother Moyle wasn't any different from most of us.  He was a simple man who worked with his hands and gave his heart to the work.  He believed in what he was doing and he worked to make sure that he did it well.  That is the thing that is required of each of us.  To be whatever we can be.  To bloom where we are planted.  To give our hearts to our Savior.

"John R. Moyle lived in Alpine, Utah, about 22 miles as the crow flies to the Salt Lake Temple, where he was the chief superintendent of masonry during its construction. To make certain he was always at work by 8 o'clock, Brother Moyle would start walking about 2 a.m. on Monday mornings. He would finish his work week at 5 p.m. on Friday and then start the walk home, arriving there shortly before midnight. Each week he would repeat that schedule for the entire time he served on the construction of the temple.
"Once when he was home on the weekend, one of his cows bolted during milking and kicked Brother Moyle in the leg, shattering the bone just below the knee. With no better medical help than they had in such rural circumstances, his family and friends took a door off the hinges and strapped him onto that makeshift operating table. They then took the bucksaw they had been using to cut branches from a nearby tree and amputated his leg just a few inches below the knee. When against all medical likelihood the leg finally started to heal, Brother Moyle took a piece of wood and carved an artificial leg. First he walked in the house. Then he walked around the yard. Finally he ventured out about his property. When he felt he could stand the pain, he strapped on his leg, walked the 22 miles to the Salt Lake Temple, climbed the scaffolding, and with a chisel in his hand hammered out the declaration 'Holiness to the Lord.' "

These are the panes that were carved on the Salt Lake Temple


When I think of the sacrifice of men and woman like John Moyle, I am amazed.  I think of the love that they had for their Savior.  I know that I want to be like them. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember hearing that story years ago and thinking that my contributions are so small and insignificant compared to his sacrifices and service! What a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment about the Kenya post on my blog today, Patty Ann. Hope you get to go. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, both of you for your comments. I loved this story. I heard it Sunday and remembered it from a past conference. It was just too good not to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sniffle *sniffle... I've heard it before; but it still puts me to tears! What a great example. I want to be like him, too!

    Thanks so much for sharing. Corine :)

    ReplyDelete