When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

One Dirty Little Irish Boy


One of my favorite stories came from my seminary teacher when I was in the ninth grade.  He told us the story of an Elder who served a mission in the British Isles many years ago.  
At the end of his mission this Elder was overheard to say,  "I think my mission has been a failure.  I have labored all my days as a missionary here and I have only baptized one dirty little Irish boy.”
Years later, after his return to his home in Montana, he had a visitor come to his home who asked, “Are you the elder who served a mission in the British Isles in 1873?”
“Yes.”
Then the man went on, “And do you remember having said that you thought your mission was a failure because you had only baptized one dirty little Irish boy?”
He said, “Yes.”
The visitor put out his hand and said, “I would like to shake hands with you. My name is Charles A. Callis, of the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My records show that I am that dirty little Irish boy that you baptized on your mission.”
Imagine that!  This man only baptized one boy, but that boy went on to influence, literally thousands, of other people throughout the world.  That boy had a large family and served the Lord all his life.  
Today, my post is simply that we never know who we will influence.  We never know what those around us will see and learn.  We don't know what kind of a force for good that we will be.  We each live in the moment, there is no way to know what positive things will happen because we are living the way we should. 
Perhaps I should say that we need to trust in Him and remember that He is always there for us.  He will lead and guide us if we will but turn to Him in faith.  I believe that Heavenly Father will use us to the best of our abilities if we will only trust in Him.  We never know what we can do or be with His help and influence in our lives.  We never know what a child will remember and what changes we will instigate.  
"No matter what circumstances you sisters experience, your influence can be marvelously far-reaching. I believe some of you have a tendency to underestimate your profound capacity for blessing the lives of others. More often than not, it is not on the stage with some public pronouncement but in your example of righteousness and the countless gentle acts of love and kindness done so willingly, so often on a one-to-one basis."
--James E. Faust, "You Are All Heaven Sent," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 110
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.

3 comments:

  1. Patty, you sure keep a wonderful blog! It occurred to me while reading this post that we're all that obsolete little Irish boy. We each are so enormous in our scope of possibilities, but often see ourselves only as the obscure and unnoticeable Irish boy. The truth is, when we find Christ, really find him, our ripples of influence go indefinitely, past the veil on through the eternities. Someday, we will get to step back and realize it. Bless your heartfelt insight and remarks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Patty,
    It is so true that we underestimate the good we are doing and how far reaching our influence can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I loved this!! thank you PattyAnn!

    ReplyDelete