When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, November 4, 2010

Whatever Spiritual Strength


President Henry B Eyring once made the statement, 
"As the forces around us increase in intensity, whatever spiritual strength was once sufficient, will not be enough". 
This quote really touched my heart today. Whatever spiritual strength that I had because of past decisions won't be enough. Whatever study I completed so long ago won't be enough. Whatever would have worked raising my children before, won't be enough today. The forces that are attacking our families, our marriages, our religion are increasing on a day to day basis and all the things we once depended on to keep us safe, won't be enough.  
So, what does this mean for us?  I think it means that we have to be even more concerned, even more vigilant.  We need to really focus on what we want for our families.  We don't have the luxury of watching and waiting for a better moment or a better time or place.  We need to find things today that will teach our children what they need to know. 

 I love that President Eyring also counseled us to ask, on a daily basis:
  • Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch me or my family today?
  • Did God send a message that was just for me?
  • What can I do to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him?

Imagine the changes we could make in our own lives if we consistently ask ourselves these questions.
In my life, I have gotten better at recognizing the hand of the Lord reaching out to me.  I am not sure that I have been as good about pointing it out to those that I love.  I have also not been as good about preserving that memory for my children.  
So, I am trying to document how often I see the Lord's hand in the world around me.  I am bearing testimony that He lives and loves each one of us.  He is here with us.  He is aware of our needs and He answers our prayers.  As I have looked for Him in my life, I have found evidence of Him even more all around me.  I see Him in the large and the small things.  My testimony has increased.  My ability to teach my children of His love has also increased.    
So today, I want to challenge you to ask yourself the same questions that I have asked.  And than find ways that work for you, to preserve your answers.  I have found that the things I write down stay with me much better.  They seem to come back for me to read when I most need them.  
Even though the past things that you have done won't be enough to get you through these times, we can make it through by trusting in the Lord and following His council and teachings.  
President Brigham Young said:
"Stop and let the Spirit,
which God has put into your tabernacles,
take the lead."
I know that as we let Him lead us, He can and will help us to be the people that He needs us to be.  May you find Him always in your daily life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment