When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Peculiar People

Deuteronomy 14:2 For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.


Exodus 19:5  Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people:  for all the earth is mine:

I wonder, does being a peculiar people mean being like everybody else, or does it mean being different, being unique, being His.  Before we think that we want to be the same as everybody else, maybe we should consider what that really means.



Doing what everybody else is doing, isn't always (or even usually) the right thing to do.  Sometimes, it can be totally wrong.  The crowd doesn't always know what is right.  It is only looking through the eyes of one elevator.  The crowd doesn't see the whole picture.

So, what does being peculiar really mean?
pe·cu·liar –adjective
1.  strange; queer; odd.
2.  uncommon; unusual.
3.  distinctive in nature or character from others.


I think the Lord is particularly thinking of the third meaning.  Distinctive from others.  Maybe we should work just a little harder on being distinctive instead of the same.  

4 comments:

  1. That video is so funny! I like this post, gave me lots to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny how you can even be distinctive in a group of other LDS people. Kinda crazy to be called a Molly Mormon by other members of the church, but it happens. It's easy to fall in a trap of "everyone's doing it" with church members. In my last ward, I couldn't believe the music that most of the parents let their children listen to, but my children grew up with my standards and are good examples to others. Don't you love to see our children stand up? I've read on your blog before when your children did. Makes me happy to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT! I just can't believe so many people will do things... JUST BECAUSE OTHERS ARE DOING IT!!! LOL! :D

    Thanks for the entertainment! :D
    Corine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Valerie. Also, some of us LDS folks (like me) are actually strange. Ah, oh well.

    ReplyDelete