When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gnomeo and Juliet



Today has been a good day.  The girls and I left the cold mountain (it was snowing when we drove out of our driveway last night) and came down to the desert for a couple of days.  Miracle has been sick, and so has my daughter Lori, so the zoo trip that we planned did not happen.  Instead, we have just relaxed, watched TV, and finally, tonight, I took all the girls and my sweet little two year old grand daughter to the movies.  We went and saw Gnomio and Juliet.  I thought it was a fun movie.  I especially loved the ending.  It follows much of the old Romeo and Juliet line.  Two different "families" at war with each other.  The feud has been going on so long they can't even remember how it started or why they hate each other.  Sometimes one side gets "ahead" in the war, and sometimes the other one does.  There are some members on each side that are meaner, and cheat more.  They keep adding fuel to the fires by their attitudes and their behavior.
As I  watched this animated cartoon movie with the girls, I couldn't help but think how like this we can be sometimes.  I have known people who hate, people who make fun of, people who are always angry.  I have known people who love to stir things up, people who gossip, people who spread rumors, people who don't like others because of race, color, nationality, or beliefs.  I have known people who criticize and belittle those around them.
It amazes me how people who profess to be sons and daughters of God with one breath, are so willing to find fault and belittle one another with the next breath.  As I watched a silly, little, cartoon type of movie, I couldn't help but reflect on how these funny little gnomes are like real people.
The lesson is to look behind appearances, open up your heart, and learn something new.  I think when we are willing to do that, we will find out how much we really have in common.  How little are our differences and how much love can truly heal.
So today, reach out to someone who is a little different than you.  Someone who needs you, but might not even know it.  Someone who needs the love and compassion from one of Heavenly Father's  earthly angels.  No matter what our differences, our hearts can join together and we can help make the journey just a little easier for each other.  I can't help but think that maybe that is what life is really about after all.

1 comment: