When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Sunday, September 11, 2011

Five Minute Friday - In Real Life


Today, I am writing about five minute Friday.  It is a little late, but I still wanted to participate!  So, write for a few minutes and then link up your five minutes over at The Gypsy Mama about connecting in real life.
    1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
    2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
    3. Go a little overboard encouraging the writer who linked up before you.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on:

In Real Life…






START


It is so easy to pretend that everything is fine, that all is well.  It is easy to pretend that your heart doesn't ache, or you aren't disappointed, or everything is just the way it should be.  It is easy to appear to others to be perfect in some way.  Real life, comes to all of us, no frill, no masks, no pretending.  It is what it is.
Sometimes that truly is wonderful, and sometimes it is just hard and difficult.  This week, real life has seemed to sneak up and bite me when I wasn't looking.  I think that I usually live in the real world, but I also think that I can forget what is important until I am faced with needing to choose.  This week the choices came in ways that I had not planned on or expected.  
I am not always an animal person.  Don't get me wrong, I like animals, I really do, but I don't usually find myself getting too attached.  However, we have a couple of dogs that we have gotten for the girls.  One is nearly two years old, and the newer one, is only 6 months.  One is a boy, and one is a girl.  One is mellow and grouchy, the other is hyper and loving.  They are a yin and yang in our family.  We are grown to like them and appreciate them in our lives.  
This week, they both got Parvo.  I have never had an animal get this disease before.  It is not a nice one.  It makes for very sick dogs.  Yoda (the boy) has had all his shots, and he was still so very sick!  Gracie, the girl, is a rescue puppy, and I did not know that she did not have all her shots.  She was so sick that I wasn't sure she was going to make it.  Real life is giving your dog liquids every two hours, day and night.  It is taking care of them, nurturing them, and knowing that they really can't help it if they are sick.  It is praying for them and doing all you can for them and hoping against all hope that they make it through.  
In Real Life this week, I have seen sickness and the overcoming of it.  I have learned to appreciate just the small simple act of being greeted at the door and having an animal so happy to finally be able to lay at my feet and wiggle under my fingers.
In Real Life, it is the simple, quiet joys that have come to mean the most.

STOP


Now it is your turn.  What can you write in your five simple minutes?

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! We had a rescue dog get parvo AND kennel cough all in the same month. It is amazingly hard when you aren't attached or just not a dog person in general to not get frustrated with them, even though you know they can't help it. You were a good "Dog Mommy" to them. Also, this prompt was fantastic! I need to start doing the 5 minute series as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those poor dogs! But so happy this story has a happy ending! Good job taking care of them during some long nights. This is indeed the stuff of "real life"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your five minute post! We have two dogs just like yours. The male dog is 3 years old and the female is 6 years old. The personalities are just like yours.
    The male loves my husband the female likes me.
    We lost a dog about 4 years ago and she was my dog all the way. I had a hard time getting over losing her. She was ran over. I didn't think I wanted that pain again; but we relinquished and got the male dog first.
    I do think they help to relieve stress at times.
    Blessings to you for helping your sweet dogs live. Thanks, for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always amazes me how complete your five minute writing is. You managed to write a coherent and thoughtful essay right off the top of your head. Well done!

    ReplyDelete