When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gossip- Don't Pass It Around

Gossip doesn't need to be false to be evil.  
There is a lot of truth that shouldn't be passed around. 


One of the things I have learned lately, is that even when you think something is true, it might not (and probably isn't) the whole story.  It is just one side of the entire mess.  When we pass things on, even if we believe they are true, we are just passing along one side of the story.  We are judging without all the facts.  We are behaving in a way that isn't very Christlike.  I have a wonderful friend who sent me the following scripture:
Proverbs 6:16-19
These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. 
It really made me think.  If we are gossiping, even if it is the truth as we see it, we are still sowing discord among others as well as ourselves.  Gossip doesn't have to be false to be evil.  It just has to hurt someone else or make them unhappy.  

Kind words, on the other hand, not only lift our spirits in the moment when they are given, but can linger on throughout the years.  I will never forget the day that I met President Kimball at Ricks College in Idaho.  I was there because the Teton Dam had broken and destroyed many farms and homes in the area.  I had the opportunity to help clean out basements and homes and see kindness and courage in action. 
 
President Kimball came to speak to the community.  I was standing by a door all alone when a helicopter landed outside on the field.  President Kimball came through the door with many other men.  They all walked by me without saying a word, but He noticed me.  He excused himself from the men and came over to me.  He shook my hand and looked into my eyes and reminded me that the Lord loved me, was mindful of me, and was happy with me.  It was a moment of kindness in my life that I have never forgotten.   

I want to be remembered for the kind things that I say to others, not for the negative, mean things that I might be tempted to say.  My prayer today is for each of us to be a little more willing to spread kindness instead of hate.  That we may be filled with compassion instead of judgement, and that we may turn our hearts toward Him in all we do and say.
  
Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others.  Kindness should encompass all of our words and actions, at work, at school, at church and in our homes.  Our Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us.  He knows us inside and out.  If He loves us, than who are we to doubt what we know nothing about.  

That is that amazing part of His grace.  He knows who we can become.    

So, before you speak,

THINK.

T - Is it true
H - Is it Helpful
I - Is it inspiring
N - Is it Necessary
K - Is it Kind

And if it isn't, then please don't say it.  

1 comment:

  1. This post is full of great wisdom. Kindness does beget kindness. I love the story of President Kimball; what a treasured memory.
    By the way, I do think you should enter your recent poem into the Ensign.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete