When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Celebrate all the times of your life


"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less.  
That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners
 of everything that can't be bought". 
 Eugene Peterson

Most people seek to be happy.  I know that I do.  Sometimes it seems as though, no matter what I do, I can't find within me the ability to be happy.  Happiness seems to be something that you might be able to buy, like a favorite toy or a new car.  All you need is a little more money, or a little more time, or a few more friends to share it with. 
One of the things that I am noticing is that few people really seek to be content.  We are rushing around, from one thing to another, looking for something that we never find.  Content is described as: 
con·tent:  
1.  The substantive or meaningful part. 
2. Desiring no more than what one has; satisfied.
3. Ready to accept or acquiesce; willing.   Which means more? 
Which is more enduring?  Happiness or contentment?  Think for a moment.  Can you imagine being happy every single moment of every single day?  Can you imagine always feeling as if you are at the top of the world?  Is that even possible?  Being happy every single moment my not be possible, but being content during struggling times is.  We all struggle.  We all have trials and heartaches and difficulties.  But along with that, we all have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us and will love us through those time.  Contentment is possible.  It makes the mountain just a little easier to climb.  It makes the mountain-top that much sweeter when you finally get there.  As for me, I am going to focus a little harder on being content instead of wishing so much to be happy.  I am learning that one just might lead to the other.
“It isn't what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.”
- Dale Carnegie  -

1000 Blessings
 The wind in the trees
 The bird on the wing
 The help of a community
 The lovely taste of vanilla wafers
 Sticky Notes

3 comments:

  1. Well said! I would love to hear a follow up on this in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your thoughts on happiness and contentment. I do think there is a difference. I also think there is a difference between Happiness and joy. Joy just seems like a more exquisite moment that may not last as long as happy. Anyway, just a thought.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we never struggle, we wouldn't TRULY appreciate the victories we have!

    ReplyDelete