When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, September 3, 2013

If it is Buried, Let It Lie.


"If something is buried in the past, leave it buried. . . . Such dwelling on past lives, including past mistakes, is just not right! It is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. . . . In cases of marriage and family, . . . we can end up destroying so many others."
—Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Best Is Yet to Be"

Too many times, I want to dig up the graves of my mistakes.  I want to sift through the dirt and relive the moments of anger, shame, ridicule and grief.  In short, too many times, I make my own self miserable with my dwelling on my own past mistakes.  Forgiveness for others has always come easily for me, but forgiveness for myself?  Not so much.  I see with the gift of hindsight and think of all the ways that I should have changed that.   I wish with my entire heart that the mistakes would not have happened.  I am very hard on myself.  Reading this article, reminded me that I shouldn't be.  That Christ knew I would make mistakes and that He atoned for my sins.  I honor Him when I learn to forgive myself as well as those I love.  I revere Him when I love all those that He loves.  And so, today, my struggle is to let go.  I will believe the best is yet to be.  I will vow to live life anew.  Today, I will believe that it is well with my soul.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved your thoughts on this one. I do think it is hard to forgive ourselves and to do so is the only thing to set us free.
    I will read his article; I loved the quote.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really awful about this and need to do better. I bring up my own past mistakes all the time and beat myself up over it. "Why would you DO that" kinda stuff. I am my harshest critic and it isn't what Christ would have me do.
    I obviously need to go read that talk now, that's for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete