When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Count Your Rainbows

Count your Rainbows,
Not your Thunderstorms.


I have lived an interesting life.  One that seems, too often, to be full of thunderstorms.  Once, many years ago, when we first moved up to the mountains, the girls were very young.  They were also very afraid of storms. 
Now, if you have never lived in the mountains, the lightening can seem very close.  It actually has struck the trees outside my house.  Our first storm was the worst.  I was at work and received a frantic phone call from three little girls who were crying.  I rushed home to find each and every one of them hiding under the kitchen table, complete with pillows and blankets and stuffed animals. 
I had to dry their eyes, wipe their tears and teach them, slowly, to learn to like watching the storms from the safety of our front porch. They had to learn that after those fear-filled mountain thunderstorms, come the rainbows, and they are amazing to behold. 
In my own life, I have had to same experiences as my daughters with the storms that often seem to surround me.  I get so enmeshed in the fear and the pain, that I can't find the rainbows.  I don't even look up to see them.  My eyes only focus on the things I am afraid of.  That is a hard way to live.
I am trying to find the rainbows around me each day.  The little moments of wonder that slide through the raindrops.  The kindnesses and caring of those I didn't expect it from.  The abundance of blessings that I didn't quite realize I really have.  I am learning to count the rainbows. 
And through the rainbows, I am learning to see God's hand in my life.  And that is the most amazing blessing of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment