When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Tuesday, March 4, 2014

He Never Fails


If what's ahead scares you,
And what's behind hurts you,
Just look above;
He never fails to help you.  

It is so easy to be overwhelmed in this life.  We are surrounded with business.  We work, we volunteer, we keep trying.  Our kids are busy too.  They are in sports, music, activities and school.  There are so many good things, that it is easy to be worried about whether or not we are doing the best that we can.  The future is the great unknown.  It could be better or it could be so much worse.  There are wars and rumors of wars.  There are gangs and violence.  There are evil and wicked people in the world today, as well as the righteous.  It is easy to look ahead and be scared.
Sometime, the past can be even worse.  We know what is hiding in our memories.  We know the demons that await us in the night.  We all have a past.  We all have things that have hurt us.  Sometimes it is people, sometimes it is events, sometimes it is our own mistakes.  Whatever it might be, the past can have tremendous hold upon us until we learn to let it go.  Until we learn that it does not have any more power today than we give it.  
So, in spite of our past or our future, we have to remember to look up.  He really is willing to hear our hearts and our prayers.  He is willing to be the difference in our lives, if we will only let Him.  My each of us remember to look up!
This is one of my favorite stories from General Conference a few years ago.  
At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.
The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.
I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)
But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.” 
Carl B. Cook  General Conference October 2011

1 comment: