When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, July 31, 2014

Patience and a Hike



A moment of patience
In a moment of anger
saves you a hundred moments
of regret.

We went hiking several weeks ago, around a lake called Willow Springs.  It was supposed to be a 3.5 mile hike, but since the girls picked the trail, it ended up being closer to six miles.  Not on flat ground mind you, but over rocks and through brush and in holes and around obstacles.  I really did not think that I was going to make it.  I thought they just might need to send an indian travois back to drag me home.  
My mind could imagine that it would take about ten girls or so to get me back.  I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my feet would hurt so much.  I think I sprained areas that I never knew existed.  
I was, of course, last.  My two girls were with me, one on each side holding me up and helping me around the last two miles of trail.  The girls were angry because every single time we caught up with the group, the group would start off an leave again without giving me a chance to rest.  
This was an important lesson for my sweet daughters.  Sometimes, anger is not the best way to handle things.  You see, if I would have stopped, I think that I would not have been able to get going again.  Heavenly Father knew that, even if my daughters did not.  So, I kept walking and walking, and walking and stumbling and stumbling and stumbling some more.  
When we finally made it to the picnic area, I was done for the day.  I could literally not walk anymore.  I could wobble, but not walk.  My girls were still angry, but I let them know how I felt, and how grateful I was for all their help, and how much it helped me to make the journey because of their positive attitudes.  I needed them there that day.
I could have been angry, I never was, but I suppose I could have felt left out, left behind and out of the crowd and angry if I would have focused on that.  Instead, I did nothing but praise every single  one of those amazing girls who managed that hike.  They were all troopers, but especially my own two girls who were willing to be my little "hiking sticks", one of each side as I kept putting one foot after another.  
I have no regrets.  My feet still hurt, I had to get new shoes, and I don't know when I will actually feel better, but that is ok.  There are still no regrets and no sorrows.  
I am grateful for that beautiful day of hiking and kayaking and sisterhood.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh I do hurt for you. I have been there and done that kind of hike before. Now at my age I can't hardly get up a small hill. You have precious daughters that helped and that was awesome. Blessings for do this adventure!

    ReplyDelete