When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Friday, October 17, 2014

Becoming Like Him - Day 17 - Long

Oh yes!  It is Friday again.  Still one of my favorite times of the week.  This is the day that a bunch of us write for five minutes without worrying about whether it is just right or not.  Then we link up our posts over at Kate's Place.  This month, there are also a bunch of us that are writing for five minutes all month long, every single day.  I am really enjoying the efforts!  I hope to see you over at the link up for your very own version of Five Minute Friday.  This week, the prompt is:

LONG



Don't let something that is long gone 
continue to control you.
It is time to let it go.

START

When I was very small, I longed to be like the big kids and never need a nap.  That two hour period of time seemed forever for my small body, and I was desperately afraid I would miss something while I slept.
When I was a child, I longed to have friends.  I longed  to be liked and loved and appreciated.  I longed for people to want to be with me.  Instead, I found myself the outsider, the one that was always in fights defending myself.  The one that was picked on, the one that was bullied.
When I was a teen, I longed to be anywhere but my house.  I longed to drive and drive and never come back.  I longed for escape and sometimes found it in the pages of the books that I loved.
When I was a young adult, I longed for a husband to love me, children that would be a blessing and a real home where I was never lonely or afraid.
I always thought that life would be a long, long time.  I never realized how short it really is.  
You blink and the toddler is a child.  You yawn and the child is a teen.  You sleep and the teen is a young adult.  Life happens, time passes, it is not nearly as long as I thought. 
Now I am older and realize that I long to let the past go.  I long to forget the bad and just remember and take joy in the good.  I long to forgive and forget and put it behind me.  I long to be better than I have been before.  
I have learned that we choose those memories that we carry with us.  As we long for something else, they become more easily recalled.  As we long to forget the bad time, they become closer to the surface of our minds.  
If we don't let go of the bad, we will never find ourselves in the places we have longed to be.  I am learning to let go of all the things that have happened to me and focus on the blessings that He gives me.  I long to become more like Him and less like the past.  I long to give it up, let go and trust that He can carry all the burdens for me.  I long to belong to Him.

STOP

Now it is your turn.  What can you write in your own five minutes of fun?  Don't forget to join us over at Heading Home with Kate and link up!

4 comments:

  1. It's strange how opposite our posts are on the same topic. You have made me pause and think about the stresses that are part of my post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! My best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post. Your words brought Psalm 107:9 to mind: "For He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things." May He grant you the desires of your heart. Visiting from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the longings to draw closer to Him. Thank you for reminding me to do I have to let go the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. Resonated deeply with me as I struggle, daily, to forget the bad. You write, "I have learned that we choose those memories that we carry with us". Very wise words. Thank you for your post: it has helped me a great deal in my own personal struggles.

    ReplyDelete