When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, May 12, 2016

What I learned - Be Thou Humble



One of my all time favorite Hymns is Be thou humble.  It reminds me of who I would like to be and what I am really working on.  This talk was also amazing.  I learned so much listening.  I love the idea that "some of the greatest sermons are preached by listening to the hymns." 
The hymn Be Thou humble is based on a scripture in Ether and one in the Doctrine and Covenants. 
Ether 12:27. The verse in Ether reads: “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; … for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”
I really need the weak things in my life to become strengths.  I know that I need to not worry so much.  That I need to trust more and try and take care of it all myself, less.  Trusting is hard for me.  I never quite correlated trusting God with the ability to humble myself.  I am just trying to bother Him less and take care of my own problems. 
This talk has reminded me that those problems are not necessarily mine to take care of.  Sometimes, we all need to trust in a higher power and allow Him to bear the burden.  Humility is the willingness to admit that I can't possibly do it all.
I have had many experiences to try myself and make me more humble.  I have walked through the shadows and  tears.  I have felt my soul ache and my heart break.  Humility keeps it all real for me.  I know that there is nothing that I could possibly suffer, that Christ himself isn't aware of.  I know that He is willing to walk with me. 
As Elder Snow shared the story of His son, my heart ached with him and I could not help but remember my own experiences with my children.  There is so much uncertainty in knowing what will happen.  Whether they sin, or someone else does, whether life is fair, or it isn't.  I believe that we never stop worrying about their welfare and their spiritual well-being.  No matter what happens, they are my children, grown or small, it doesn't really matter.  I love them.  I know that Heavenly Father loves them and that He desires they may learn how to be humble and loving here upon the earth.
He desires to lead us safely Home. 

Lyrics to Be Thou Humble

  1. 1. Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
    Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.
    Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
    Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares.
  2. 2. Be thou humble in thy calling, and the Lord thy God shall teach thee
    To serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love.
    Be thou humble in thy longing, and the Lord thy God shall take thee,
    Shall take thee home at last to ever dwell with him above.

    Text and music: Grietje Terburg Rowley, b. 1927
  3. (c) 1985 IRI

No comments:

Post a Comment