When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, May 5, 2016

What I learned - The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness




If I had to pick a favorite talk from this past conference, this just might be it.  I loved the message about how forgiveness heals us.  The quote from this talk is: 
Forgiveness is a glorious, healing principle.
We do not need to be a victim twice.
We can forgive.

Isn't that amazing?  We live in a world that is filled with darkness and confusion.  It makes perfect sense that we would all suffer in some way for the actions of others.  Sometimes it is on purpose, and sometimes it is an accident, but we still suffer from another's choice.  I love the idea of not being a victim more than once.  That no matter what has happened, I can turn the judgement over to Him and He will take care of it for me.  It doesn't matter if it is in this life, or the next one.  Only He can make a completely fair judgement of any of us.  I love knowing that He can Heal my wounded soul. 

"I am convinced that most of us want to forgive, but we find it very hard to do. When we have experienced an injustice, we may be quick to say, “That person did wrong. They deserve punishment. Where is the justice?” We mistakenly think that if we forgive, somehow justice will not be served and punishments will be avoided.
This simply is not the case. God will mete out a punishment that is fair, for mercy cannot rob justice (see Alma 42:25). God lovingly assures you and me: “Leave judgment alone with me, for it is mine and I will repay. [But let] peace be with you” (D&C 82:23). The Book of Mormon prophet Jacob also promised that God “will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction” (Jacob 3:1).
As victims, if we are faithful, we can take great comfort in knowing that God will compensate us for every injustice we experience. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin stated: “The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. … Every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.”  Quoted by Kevin R. Duncan

I believe that as we seek to see others as our Heavenly Father sees them, that it will be easier to forgive.  For me, I do not want the poison of hate in my own heart.  I do not want to be a victim twice.  For me, I will trust that the Lord will use justice and mercy in His righteous judgments.  It is not necessary to see it all come about right now.  May we each have to desire and power to forgive.  I know that I have sinned and I want that forgiveness in my own life, how can I choose not to give it to another?  Forgiveness does not mean that you have to pretend nothing happened.  There are things that make someone untrustworthy in this life.  However, forgiveness does mean that you can think about the person without anger and hate.  It does mean that you can put it all in the Lord's hands.  It does mean that you can move forward and live your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment