When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, June 2, 2016

What I learned - Whoso receiveth them, receiveth me


“And [Jesus] commanded that their little children should be brought [to him]. …
“And … he took [them], one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.
“And when he had done this he wept.”

I love the listen to Elder Neil L. Andersen.  He is a really good speaker and he always has something to say that hits home for me.  This talk for me, is about how much Heavenly Father loves children, all children.  It is about how much they need love and acceptance no matter what their family is like.  
This one hit home for me because I have had children who weren't accepted because they were different from the rest.  I have a daughter who really struggled as a teenager and the young women leaders came to me and told me that she was not welcome at young women's.  It was devastating to me because by taking away any chance of friendship with those who could be an example to her, these well meaning women drove her right out of my arms and into the friendships with those who would mistreat and abuse her.  
I have many more instances of those well meaning people who mistreat and misjudge children ewho are different.  I love that Elder Anderson talks about the children and youth who do not come from picture perfect families.  Who are raised in foster care, or by single parents.  He talks about how much need we have for sensitivity in our dealings with others, especially the youth.  
  
President Thomas S. Monson has said: “Help God’s children understand what is genuine and important in this life. Help them develop the strength to choose paths that will keep them safely on the way to eternal life.”  Let’s open our arms and our hearts a little wider. These youth need our time and our testimonies.

I love that Elder Andersen talked about how we need to reach out to the youth who feel alone, left out, left behind and outside the fence.  He does not say that we should ignore them or cast them out.  He talks about how much Jesus loved the children.  In every instance where he blessed children, I never recall that He said to only bring Him the perfect children.  He said to bring the little children to Him.  He blessed them all.  He loves them unconditionally, no matter what type of family they come from. 
May we all be just a little more like Him as we seek to include all the children and the youth around us.  May we not judge them just because they don't come from perfect families.  May we seek to help them and to welcome them with open arms and loving hearts.  May we always let them in.       

No comments:

Post a Comment