When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Monday, April 17, 2017

Language most Foul



I had a terrible experience with this one today.  I had a customer come in and call me so many horrible names that it was just, well, insulting, as well as unnerving.  I don't think I have been called so many names since I was a child.  It flipped me back to the hurt girl that I used to be.  I am pretty sure I didn't even respond correctly. 
I am not someone that swears.  I used to could say that my children never heard me say a swear word, but I went through a time a while back that changed that.  I do know that it was a very hard habit to break.  It took a lot of perseverance and thinking about my words to change it.  I made me pause before I replied. 
That being said, I have never said the words that I was attacked with.  People who think words don't hurt, have never lived a life where they had to be afraid.  The words have always come, either before or during, abuse.  So for me, the words pack a little bit of a punch. 
It impacted every single one of us at work, and had the rest of the customers standing against the wall while this not gentleman engaged in a tirade. 
I was embarrassed for him as well as myself.  Number one, he doesn't know me if he thinks those words even begin to describe the person that I am.  Number two, well, his vocabulary is a little bit lacking.  Definitely on the side of baser things.  How terrible it must be if that is the only way he knows of to get his point across. 
So, just in case you wondered, a little swearing doesn't make me feel bad.  I get it that people are trying to make a point and sometimes a swear word feel better.  But, calling people names, especially the baser ones is not by any stretch of the imagination appropriate.  It is not kind.  It is not accurate.  It is not true.  And probably, the most important thing of all, it is not even necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment