When faced with life's challenges,
it is Important to Remember
that although Daniel was saved from the lions,
he was not saved from the Lion's Den.


Thursday, April 6, 2017

What I learned - The Beauty of Holiness



“Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name:
bring an offering, and come before him:
worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.”

This talk was given by Carol F. McConkie, 
First councilor in the Young Women General Presidency


She used one of my favorite bible stories.  It is the story of Mary and Martha, and I often feel like I am Martha when I should be Mary! 
When Martha received Jesus Christ into her home, she felt a tremendous desire to serve the Lord to the best of her ability. Her sister, Mary, chose to sit “at Jesus’ feet” and to hear His word. When Martha felt burdened about serving without any help, she complained, “Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?”
I love the words of the most gentle rebuke that I can imagine. With perfect love and infinite compassion, the Savior admonished:
“Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
“But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
Sisters, if we would be holy, we must learn to sit at the feet of the Holy One of Israel and give time to holiness. Do we set aside the phone, the never-ending to-do list, and the cares of worldliness? Do we set aside our busy lives, if only for a short space of time to ponder and feast upon His words?  Prayer, study, and heeding the word of God invite His cleansing and healing love into our souls. We have to actually make time to be holy, We have to choose to have that sacred time with Him, that we may be filled with His sacred and sanctifying Spirit. Holiness isn't just a goal, it is a choice.  One each one of us must make as we seek Him in the world today.  Oh how my heart wants to sing the Hymn, More holiness give me.  I can't even think of the words without tears coming to my eyes and my heart yearning to be nearer to Him.

1. More holiness give me,
More strivings within,
More patience in suff'ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care,
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer.

2. More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord,
More pride in his glory,
More hope in his word,
More tears for his sorrows,
More pain at his grief
More meekness in trial,
More praise for relief.

3. More purity give me,
More strength to o'ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be.
More blessed and holy--
More, Savior, like thee.

Text and music: Philip Paul Bliss, 1838-1876
 

No comments:

Post a Comment